Our skin is an extraordinary organ, endowed with the natural ability to produce these oils, more scientifically known as sebum, play an indispensable role in keeping our skin hydrated, supple, and resilient against the various environmental stressors we face daily - a dynamic, protective shield, maintaining the skins delicate balance.
Understanding this natural mechanism is crucial - our skin produces its own oils to keep itself in a state of equilibrium. However, factors like age, environmental stress, lifestyle choices, and skin conditions can disrupt this balance, leading to either excessive oiliness or, conversely, dryness and dehydration.
Our aim is to harmonise with the body's natural process by creating biomimetic lipid-based formulations that supports the skins natural functions. The result is profoundly nourishing skincare that is abundant in natural compounds which are present in the plant oils, which are immensely beneficial for skin health.
Key Components of Plant Oils in Skincare:
- Fatty Acids: These are crucial for maintaining the skin's moisture barrier and overall health. They include both saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, which help to nourish and protect the skin.
- Omega Fatty Acids: Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, such as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid, are essential for skin health. They play a significant role in reducing inflammation and maintaining skin elasticity and hydration.
- Triglycerides: Derived from various natural oils and fats, triglycerides in skincare are emollients that help to soften and smooth the skin. They are excellent for providing moisture and improving skin texture.
- Ceramides: These lipid molecules are a natural part of the skin’s barrier. They help to protect the skin from environmental damage and prevent moisture loss, which is crucial for maintaining skin hydration and preventing dryness.
- Carotenoids: These are naturally occurring pigments with antioxidant properties, found in many plants. In skincare, carotenoids like beta-carotene and lycopene help protect the skin from oxidative damage and can provide some photoprotection against UV radiation.
Oil is the skin's natural moisturiser, lipid-based formulations is a universal skincare solution, as it helps to replenish and reinforce the skin’s natural barrier, provide hydration, and protect against environmental stressors. It is also beneficial in addressing signs of ageing and improving the overall health and appearance of the skin.